Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ding! Ding! Round 1

Alright so last night I was was afforded the opportunity to play in my first vanguard tournament. Obviously, I took it. This particular store always ran their tournaments a bit different from other stores. They have a younger player base in that area and parents were getting fed up that they paid $5 for their kid to play every week and yet never won anything. So they had to revert to an unconventional tournament format. Basically, there are only four rounds and you pay $7 for entry. No top. Then for every round that you win you get a pack, if you end up going 4-0 then you get an extra 2 packs for a total of 6. Pretty awful, but seeing as this store is only five minutes away from me (the next closest stores are an hour away), I put up with it.

So tonight we had nine players, not too bad considering it was a Wednesday night and the game is relatively new to the area. Alright so I'm just going to jump right into the matches I played.

Round 1
Me (Royal Paladin) Vs. Human Male (Nova Grappler)
Not much to say here, I drew fairly decent and hit triggers when I needed to. Easy 2-0, We were the first match done.

Round 2
Me (Royal Paladin) Vs. Human Male (Granblue)
This was actually my first time playing against Granblue, so I had to read a couple things. This deck is probably the worst deck in the ECG right now. He basically just sat there with his vanguard and a booster stalling the entire time trying to use his G3 effect that lets him get rearguards from his drop zone by counter blasting 5 and soul blasting 8. The thing is, I already had an entirely developed field and at least nine cards in my hand to block his attacks. I easily shrugged off his attacks and won on the following turn. Again, easy 2-0, I hope for the sake of all the Granblue players out there that the support in BT06 (our BT03) is good. I have been kind of lazy as of late and haven't bothered to read any of it yet.

Round 3
Me (Royal Paladin) Vs. Human Male (Spike Brothers)
I lost this match. Sad face. It did go to 3 games though. This kid was so lucky with hitting triggers, he was flipping them off the top like none other. I only saw a heal and draw trigger in the third game. I had just enough to block his attacks, and I was going to game him on my next turn regardless if I hit any triggers. HOWEVER, he flipped a critical for game. FRUSTRATING.

Round 4
Me (Royal Paladin) Vs. Human Male (Kagero)
I only had experience playing against a bad Kagero deck before this match. Although, his deck probably wasn't the optimal build, it was still better than what I had tested against. He won the die roll and lost game 1 so he also got to go first in game 2. It was really annoying when he was able to pop my Barcgal before I could search my Llew (I always get Flogal first), both games. However, in game 3 I was able to do my Barcgal shenanigans, which made this game a lot easier. It also helped that he drew pretty bad. I finished this game up pretty quick.

So I finished 3-1 and got 3 packs - 2 BT01 and 1 BT02. Essentially, I got a free pack, cool. So I open them up and I pull a Blazing Flare Dragon and a Battle Sister, Cocoa. I was happy with that, although a Soul Saver or an Alfred would be nice seeing as how I'm borrowing one of each from a friend right now. I can't really complain with those pulls though.

Overall, It was a really fun night. It had been a while since my friends and I had all been at a local tournament together. Nostalgia. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed my tournament report. I'm not really sure if a 3-1 Royal Paladin deck really deserves a deck profile or not, but I may get around to doing one tomorrow for the fun of it. On second thought, I may wait on it until I can get a hold of my friends Soul Saver and Alfred and post a picture with it. We'll see. Thanks for reading and keep on coming back to The Fight! It can only get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment